Wednesday, April 6, 2011

9 Years

Nine Years ago, I was married to the best man in the world. We had married just a year and 3 months after we met (ok, we had apparently met before we met, but seeing as how it was because some guy he knew was hounding me at work, I don't count that!).
Brian and I officially met in a short class during winter break at college. Our school called it J-Term and it was a 3 week course. We were taking a literature class and I walked in the first day and sat in front of him. I immediately pegged him as a baseball player. As an athletic trainer, I knew an athlete when I saw one. :-) The second day of class he came in after me and sat 2 seats behind me instead of sitting in the seat right behind me. Seeing as how I knew he was someone worth getting to know, I called him on it. :-) He joined our small group, we started going to lunch together, I started skipping track practice and the rest is history.


IMG_8268

Brian was in ROTC and I knew what that meant. It didn't matter, though. In fact, I liked that he was going to be a "man in uniform." I think we both knew pretty quickly that this wasn't just a regular relationship. This was it. We met each others' parents, went on a Spring Break trip together, and then he took me to meet his brother and sister-in-law in Germany on a family vacation. Yeah, not just another girlfriend...I was in. :-)

IMG_8269

September 11th happened and it shaped what our future was going to be like. The Army would be much different than what it was on September 10th.

IMG_8272

Brian went to Officer Basic Course a few months after graduation. Luckily it was just 2 hours from the college I had yet to graduate from. I went down to visit him one night, expecting to go to a Christmas party and walked into his room to see Christmas lights, music playing, and roses. There was a stuffed reindeer that held a special ring on it's antlers and a wonderful man whose question was answered with a yes.
Our plan was to wait to get married until I had graduated college. His brother and his family would be stateside by then and they'd be able to attend.

IMG_8273

When he was assigned to Fort Campbell, our plans changed. The unit he was assigned to was supposed to deploy to Afghanistan. We quickly set a date and started planning. At some point, we found out that the Army changed it's mind and sent a different unit. Relieved, we still moved on with the plans since you just never know when the Army is going to change its mind again. :-)
We were married in a small ceremony in my hometown and it was attended by a LOT of family and friends. It may not have been the most expensive or flashiest wedding and reception, but it was pretty and planned with love. Our family had a lot to do with it and I am forever grateful for all the work that was done to make our day special.


IMG_8275

Now, 9 years, 7 houses, 3 deployments, 3 kids, a miscarriage, 2 dogs and a lost cat later, we are still going strong. We have had our ups and downs and sometimes it has been a lot of work. However, it is just WONDERFUL work and is totally worth it when I look over at my husband and my heart still skips a beat.

IMG_8279

What were we thinking?
I know that we were thinking that the destination is totally worth the journey...bumps and all.

3 comments:

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

Happy Anniversary. I pray Brian is safe on his current and all future deployments. What a gift you are to him. Those in the military have battles some of us never face. I give you so much credit for making it through it all, supporting him and loving him and I know he gives you the same in return. I hope when he returns you have a wonderful reunion date to celebrate the gift you are to each other!

Anonymous said...

Aww happy anniversary Kerum

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your "STORY", Kerum. And I remember when Brian called and told Bill he had met a girl. Bill got off the phone and told me. I asked him questions which he didn't ask Brian so we called him back for the details. I knew Brian wouldn't call his folks for any old girl. I KNEW you were the one! And we are so glad! It has been 9 super years for us-you have made Bri happy and for that we are so grateful. Thanks for being YOU! Love you--Mary