Sunday, April 6, 2008

Night Time Lava

Later on Saturday night, we decided to head down to the lava viewing point again to see it at night. We arrived after dark this time and put Austin in the carrier and with flashlights in hand, followed all the other people who trekked out to see the lava as well.
This was a totally different experience. During the day, you see a lot of white steam and a few glimpses of red lava. At night, the steam is illuminated by the lava. Being inexperienced with our camera, we didn't get the best pictures, but we did get one pretty cool one:


I have to tell you, the sky was pretty cool in and of itself. I actually had a hard time keeping my eyes off of it. Since the Big Island really doesn't have HUGE cities and it's basically all country, the stars show up like you wouldn't believe! I mean, you can see the Milky Way and probably every constalation known to man (if I knew anymore than just the Big and Little Dippers!) I wish I knew how to take a picture of it, but it just wouldn't show up. So, you'll just have to take my word for it.... :-)

No comments: