Monday, July 14, 2008

Some Say We Are Crazy...

We are getting a new dog on Saturday....is that crazy? Is getting a puppy really that crazy? I understand that we are also expecting a baby, but will it really be horrible to have a baby and an 8 month old puppy at the same time?

Brian and I don't think it's that crazy. Brian had started thinking that it might be fun to get another dog when we got to Arkansas. He had not told me he was thinking this. I have always bothered (teased...whatever you want to call it) him to get another Weim puppy. I just think that having 2 dogs is better than one. There are times when I think Abby wants/needs a companion. Anyway, I had looked in the paper at the pet section and in bold letters was "Weimaraner." So, I told Brian about it and he told me to call. My mouth dropped open and I was speechless. At least until I said, "are you serious???" He has always said that we won't get another dog until Abby dies (something neither of us can even begin to imagine!).

So, after making sure he was serious, I called. No answer...so I left a message. There was a website, so we tried to get on there, but couldn't. Later, we realized we weren't typing it in correctly, so we eventually saw the puppies.

I got a call back the next day about the puppies, we discussed it, then called him back. The price was right around what they were in Nashville, it seemed like good timing and the more we thought about it, the more we wanted to do it.

So, we talked to the breeder some more, sent him the deposit via Paypal and have waited each week for new pictures of the puppies.

Here's a picture of "Koa" at 4 weeks.

The side view of him:

He is now almost 7 weeks old and the breeders are releasing the puppies a week early. I'm guessing they are all weaned and ready for their new owners. We are very excited...even with the fact that potty training a puppy is hard work. We think that this is better than waiting though, since we won't be potty training a puppy while having a newborn, or trying to potty train a puppy in a house with carpet (our house is all concrete floors.....easy clean up!).

If you'd like to see how big he has gotten since 4 weeks, you can go to http://supermodelweimaraners.googlepages.com/

Koa is the Green/Red Collar male. The picture is taken at an odd angle though, so he looks pretty goofy! :-) And it looks like the breeder had to steady him while taking the pictures, so I'm guessing he's pretty active! Oh, Koa is the Hawaiian word for "soldier" or "warrior." We thought that since we were getting him in Hawaii, we might as well name him appropriately! Oh, and he's from Maui....so he gets to ride on his first plane to get to us!

Austin is excited about getting Koa. We have Saturday with stars on it so he knows when Koa will be home. Now, we just have to get through this week!

1 comment:

Alisha Lofgren said...

Kerum,
Congrats on your pregnancy! It's so funny, becuase I am about 14 weeks along, and I am due Jan 17th, Liz is due a few days later, then you are due a few days after Liz! A friend of mine is also due around the same time as me! Lots of babies in January. Again, Congrats, your puppy is so cute! You are not crazy, atleast your dog will have a playmate!