Monday, August 17, 2009

Adventures in Baby Food Making

When Austin started solids, we just went out and bought his babyfood. I had heard of making your own, but didn't really think twice about it. We just went with Gerber and never looked back.
4 years later and there is a lot of stuff on the internet about how to make your own baby food. It's not only easy, but so much cheaper! Cheap is good, people!
So, I went out and bought some fresh produce (not organic, but we don't exactly have the best selection when it comes to organic). We already have a great blender, so I wanted to try that out before buying a food processor. I am so glad I did! It worked great!
So far, I have done sweet potatoes, butternut squash, green beans, and pears. Of course, I have been smashing avacados for a while now as well as bananas. Tomorrow, I want to bake some apples and do those as well. Everything has been pretty easy and it's not too much work.
When I have it blended, I dish the food out into ice cube trays and freeze it. After it's frozen, I dump it into freezer bags and there it stays until I need it. I have been saving jars and plastic containers from the baby food we had been buying and that's what I'll put the frozen cubes in to thaw in the fridge. The best part is that I know what Colten is eating and when it was made!


And did I mention that it was CHEAP!?!

No comments: