Sunday, March 20, 2011

Steals and Deals

While living in NW Arkansas, I was introduced to the wonderful world of consignment events. Basically, twice a year, there is a consignment sale where you can get GREAT deals on children's clothes, toys and gear. Not only that, but you can consign your own children's clothes, toys and gear to offset the amount that you spend buying new (to you) stuff. I was hooked.
While we do have 3 boys that can wear hand-me-downs, they are ROUGH on their clothes. Plus, Austin wore summer items year round, so there wasn't much left of those for Colten to wear. Then, along came Aiden...in the opposite season that the older boys were born in! So, while we have been able to pass down some things, there are other things that I have had to buy to get a son from one season to the other. Plus, Austin, being the oldest, is always needing new stuff because there isn't anyone handing stuff down to him. This gets EXPENSIVE!
When I learned we were moving to North Carolina, I think one of the first things I did was research to see if there were any consignment events in the area. Luckily, there was! I shopped only in back in the fall and got some great deals. This season, I consigned some things and got to shop earlier so I could get some GREAT deals!
First, the clothes:
Austin: He didn't get as much because at this age, things get worn longer because they aren't growing quite as fast. Plus, they are REALLY hard on their clothes, so it's harder to find good stuff that I think I want to pay for. Also, he's getting to the age where he wants to help pick out his own clothes, so I promised that he could pick out some shirts at Kohls at some point. He also got a Star Wars Lego shirt, but he was already wearing it when this picture was taken. I think he liked it, or something. :-)
IMG_7783
Here's Colten's summer clothes: Colten has a few shirts already from Austin's old stuff. I was lucky to also get a couple of pairs of shoes for him since his sandals from last year are too small.
IMG_7787
Aiden is going to be in 2 different sizes this summer, so he got a little bit more. He also got 3 pairs of shoes, one pair is for later in the summer/fall.
IMG_7784
I also got this booster that Aiden is in. Isn't he so cute??? And so big!
IMG_7793
I got a bath seat for Aiden as well. It's so much easier to put him in the bath tub now because he get upset about laying down to bathe, but he isn't balanced enough to sit really well on his own. My back was killing me to bathe him with his brothers since I was constantly holding him up. The bath seat isn't for me to just leave him, so don't worry about that. It's just better for him to play and better for my back so I don't have to lean over the tub as much! It attaches to the side of the tub, so it's also not going to tip over. :-) I like it and he LOVES it!
The last thing I bought was a double jogging stroller. It was the first thing I looked for. It had to have a front wheel that could turn. I plan on running in a neighborhood and there are lots of turns and I hate turning with a fixed wheel. So, there were two strollers and one had a fixed wheel and while I liked everything else about that stroller better, I had to pick the other one because it was the one with a rotating wheel. The boys love it and yes, I have already tested it out. I think it would have gone better if I was in better shape. :-) I guess that will come...just slowly.
While I didn't make as much as I spent, I also didn't have a lot to sell. We are 3rd time parents, so we don't have a bunch of baby gear that we could sell. We also didn't have as much spring/summer stuff we could sell that Aiden has grown out of. I'm expecting a better amount in the Fall...and this time, I think I'm going to weed out some toys!

No comments: