Thursday, March 4, 2010

12 Weeks...and an appointment.

I can't believe I am 12 weeks along this week! That means that on Monday, I will officially be in my 2nd Trimester! Yay! I'm ready for that energy burst and no more nauseousness. I can tell that it's getting less and less, but I'm ready to move on completely!
Yesterday was a busy day. Which, actually was good. It kept me from thinking too much about my doctor appointment in the afternoon. It actually surprised me that I was nervous about this one. Actually, I didn't realize just how nervous I was until the nurse went to find the heartbeat.

The reason? Two years ago. I went in for a routine appointment right around this time in my pregnancy and found out that we had lost our baby...4 weeks before. I think the worst part was that I had Austin with me and Brian was at work, oh and that for 4 weeks I had no clue what had happened.

While pregnant with Colten I was nervous, but knew I would be. Going into my appointment yesterday I was fine. It wasn't until I was about to sit on the table for the nurse to find the heartbeat that I had those butterflies. She actually said something like, "we should be able to find the heartbeat today since you're 12 weeks, but if not, we aren't going to freak out. We'll just take a quick peek to see where he/she is."

Those butterflies got bigger as I sat on the table and she put the wand to my belly. I held my breath for the moment or so that it took her to find the heartbeat. Nope, that was my heartbeat, let's go over here. Nope, my heartbeat again. Then, there it was. The fast, wonderful beating of our 3rd baby's heart. I breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed. There are some wonderful things to hear in the world, but I think the heartbeat of a baby is right up at the top with your child saying "I love you."

After that, I met with the doctor and talked a bit with him, had a couple of other procedures done (labs, etc) and was done. Such a short appointment, and the others will be even shorter. Completely worth the drive and wait to hear that heartbeat though. Completely.

So, my next appointment will be in 4 weeks, and I even got to schedule the "big" ultrasound! I'll be 18 weeks and it will be on April 14th. Hoping this baby is cooperative just like our boys were so we don't have to pay for another ultrasound to find out! :-) Of course, Austin says it's a girl and he was right about Colten being a boy, so we'll see if he has that sixth sense still!

I have some pictures to post from our trip to North Carolina still, but I will do that another day. Maybe tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

YEAH!!! Congrats on such a great appointment...I can hear ya on the anxiety of hearing the heartbeat...been there...I was nervous for every appt until I could feel the girls move regularly:-) Love reading updates!!!