Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 25 - Day of Thanks

Today is the designated day to be thankful. I'm really glad that someone in the blogworld had decided to try and get people to write "thankful" posts for each day of this month because there is just too much to be thankful for and it needs to be spread out so we can really think about the big and little things that we may take for granted the rest of the year.

Today, we had Brian's brother and his family over for dinner. Paula, my sister-in-law, and I were each responsible for certain dishes on the menu. I think she had the harder dishes and for that I am thankful! :-) I don't think we would have been eating very well if the lists were swapped. For one, I don't have the recipe for the famous cornbread dressing. Not only did the dressing get made from scratch, the rolls were made from scratch as well. Yeah, it would have been Sister Schubert rolls if I were in charge of that! Of course, Sister Schubert is pretty awesome, so I don't think anyone would have complained. The homemade rolls were just better...they always are! I DID make the mac n cheese from scratch and not from the box. Are ya proud? I figured you would be! Anyway, I'm thankful for Paula and her awesome cooking abilities.

I also have to say that I'm very thankful that Aiden hadn't gotten sick since last night. I have never witnessed a 2 month old getting sick like that before and I hope I never have to again! He was in a great mood for most of the day and even tolerated some time to himself in the swing so that I could get my part of the meal fixed.

I'm thankful that the cousins get to see each other so much now that we are stationed at the same place again. I grew up with a lot of cousins around and I am so happy that my boys get to experience the wonderful relationship that cousins can have.

I'm thankful for Brian's help throughout the day. Actually, I think we all pitched in pretty well to get the food on the table and the kitchen cleaned up afterwards! Brian really is a wonderful husband though.

I'm also thankful for being able to talk to some of my family today since we didn't travel to see anyone. While it is really nice not to have to plan where to go and what time we have to be there, we really miss seeing those we love.

Finally, I am thankful for the prospect of being able to sleep in tomorrow. No, I am not Black Friday shopping. We don't really see anything that we want to get anyone that is worth the craziness and lack of sleep to get it. There are definitely things that I see that I would want, but we are supposed to be shopping for other people, not ourselves right now. SO, while all you nutso people are out freezing your butt off, waiting in line, and putting yourselves at risk of being trampled, I will be warm and snug in my bed....until at least 9am! :-)

{Yes, I realize I didn't make a post for the 23rd. I went to bed a little worried about our little boy who had started throwing up that night. I completely forgot to post something because of that. Oh well...at least I'm not quitting!}

No comments: