Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Family of Steele - Day 2

{Day 2}

Today was a day off of school for Austin. I didn't realize that until Monday night when I went to check the lunch menu to figure out if he wanted to bring or buy his lunch. "Great," I thought, "now I get to bring 3 kids to the doctor office. That sounds like a ton of fun." I'm sure you can hear the sarcasm, right?
Cue in Paula.
Paula is my sister-in-law. Brian's brother's wife. More than that, she's a sister and friend given to me by marriage. I may have grown up with just one sister, but I get to spend the adult portion of my life with two.
Anyway, Paula steps right in and says that she'll take Austin for me while I take Colten to the doctor. She had another girl coming over for some FRG stuff (Family Readiness Group - an Army thing) and she had a little boy he could play with. She said she would even change the time of her meeting and meet me somewhere to pick him up (we live a little further apart than last time we were stationed together). I didn't want her to change her plans, but definitely took her up on her offer to keep him and dropped him off at her house. It was a win-win for me and Austin...I had one less stressor at the doctor's and he got to play with a friend.
While I'm thankful for Paula's kindness in this instance, I'm thankful for the relationship that we have. I'm also thankful for Matt and the kids as well. It's awesome to be near them again and have family close by. When Austin had his first seizure, they were ready to do whatever they needed to do for us. When he had his 2nd seizure, Matt drove the 40 minutes to our house in the middle of the night to stay with Colten so I could go to the hospital. They've watched Colten when we needed and even kept our dogs for a weekend. I know that family is typically known to be helpful, but that doesn't take away the need to let them know you are appreciative.

No comments: