Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Military - Day 11

{Day 11}
{I'm postdating this for yesterday since I was spending a little time with my very own veteran who came home early from Virginia. I did start writing it last night as he put our children to bed, but didn't finish the very end until this morning.}
Today being Veteran's Day, I am thankful for the members of our military, past and present. Being part of a military family, I see the sacrifice of our military members first hand. I see them leaving their families for days, weeks, months and sometimes even years at a time. Our own family will be starting our 3rd year long deployment in January sometime.
While the deployments are hard (to say the least) on all of us, I am so proud of my husband, my brother-in-law, my father-in-law and the rest of our military, both past and present. In Brian's words, "I do it because I have to, I do it because I want to and I do it because I was born to." He doesn't like leaving his family, but he knows this is what he was meant to do.
I also want to thank the family members of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. My heart breaks for those who have had to see the dreaded "green suiters" come up the sidewalk to their house. Those Gold Star Families are in my heart and prayers, especially on days like today.
So, while today is Veterans Day and it's a special day to thank all those who serve and have served in the past, please don't forget them on the other 364 days of the year. Their job doesn't stop...even today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Kerum, Amen! Ya Ya