Thursday, November 26, 2009

Family and a Holiday Visitor - Day 26

Today, of all days, we have SO much to be thankful for! It's so easy to get caught up in "what's for dinner" that we all need to just sit down and remember all that God has given us.

I am thanking God for my husband and two beautiful children. I was reminded today of my goals of being an athletic trainer for a high school. When choosing my career path, I didn't even DREAM of how soon God would give me my husband and children. I figured I'd get my degree, get certified as an athletic trainer, and then work those long hours looking after high school atheletes as they work towards their goals. Never, in my wildest dreams, did I realize I would get married before I even graduated. Some might say I gave up my dreams, but in reality, being a wife and a mom was always the ultimate goal. The athletic training gig was just something to pass the time until I was blessed with a family of my own. God knew what he was doing and I'll still use the knowledge I obtained, just in a different way. Remember, I have two boys and there will always be booboos to bandage, wounds to ice, and probably broken bones or stitches to attend to. :-)

I am also thankful for the rest of our family. Each member of our family holds a special place in my heart. Oh how I wish all of our family was close enough to visit with more often. I want our kids to know their grandparents, great grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins and have the same memories that I have of the holidays with family. Being military can keep us far away sometimes, but we always try to come "home for the holidays."

Tonight, I am also thankful for a little holiday visitor we will have in our home this year (and hopefully every year!). A little Elf appeared on our Shelf tonight and shared a book with us. We named him Bernard (from The Santa Clause). He is the eyes and ears for Santa. He appears in our house in the morning and watches the boys all day long, then leaves for the North Pole after they have gone to bed to tell Santa how good they have been today. Then, in the morning he appears in a different place for the kids to find him. They can't touch him or he'll lose his magic and won't be able to get back to the North Pole. They can talk to him and tell him what they want for Christmas, but he won't talk back.
IMG_6657

Austin was in disbelief when he saw the book on the table when we got back from Pine Bluff after our Thanksgiving meal. We asked him if he put that there and when he said no, we asked everyone else. No one put that book there. So, we read it to see what it was about and then he looked for the elf that the book talked about. When he found him on the fireplace mantel, he just didn't know what to do. At first, he wouldn't go near him. He did tell him what he wanted for Christmas...I think that was the easy part! He was so funny. The whole night he would look and make sure Bernard was still there. I don't think he quite knew what to think about this whole thing! He kept asking how Bernard got here and how he was going to get back to the North Pole.

IMG_6661

When it was time to go to bed, I told Austin he needed to brush his teeth. He started to protest and all I had to do was point to Bernard. He looked up, got wide-eyed, and then said, "OH!" Then went and got his teeth brushed.
I think I'm going to like Bernard hanging around!

No comments: