Friday, November 20, 2009

Mothers - Day 20

Today is my birthday...and how can you not be thankful for your Mom on your birthday!

So, today I am thankful for my mom. She's going through a hard time right now and it stinks that I can't do anything about it. She's strong though, so I know she will get through this and that God has something better planned for her in the future.

My mom raised my sister and I alone for some time before remarrying. She put us first and tried to give us everything we wanted or needed before she got what she needed or wanted. Even when money was scarce, she made sure we didn't notice that times were tough. I didn't even realize there were tough times until I was older. Thanks to her and my grandparents, even Christmas presents were plentiful.

My mom has shown me how to be independent at times, but to know that there are also times when you just need to ask for help...and that it's ok to ask for that help.

Mom has suffered from a chronic illness since her 20s. No matter how bad it gets for her, she keeps pushing through, trying different things and never giving up. She's so strong! I know that there are days when she's feeling crummy and doesn't feel like getting out of bed, but when we visit her, she always tries to stay upbeat and play with her grandsons. She goes and goes while she's around us. I imagine that she could probably go to bed for days after we leave, but she doesn't complain. Most of the time, she doesn't even want to tell me when she's feeling bad.

So, today, I am thankful for her. For everything she has done for me, my sister and my brother. For everything she has done for other people. For everything she does for my kids. I know better things are in store for her...and hope that it comes soon!

No comments: